The day starts with bird watching near the shoreline marshes of Ziway, followed by a slow cruise around the nesting grounds of Tulu Simbero, which means Bird Island in the local Oromo language. Visitors can view the island of Gelila from the boat. The craggy rocks of the island are home to its sole residents, who live in a small hut by the shore. Next visitors will journey across the golden lake to search out the lake's shy and elusive hippos. Since the hippos have a few favorite basking spots in the lake, the tour will varying depending on the time of year and the hippos habits.
- Spot rare and endemic birds in the marshes and forests.
- Catch glimpses of the lake's shy hippos basking in the water to escape the African sunshine.
Sample Itinerary - 3-4 Hours
- 9:00: Depart from Ziway to Bird Island
- 9:30: Arrive at Bird Island to view native birds in their habitat
- 10:15: Search for the elusive hippo at their favorite basking spots
- 11:30: Return to Lake Ziway shore
Custom itineraries can be arranged for the morning or afternoon. Hippo viewing make take longer than listed.
What to Bring
- Walking boots or shoes
- Sun screen, sunglasses, and hat
- Insect repellent
- Light rain jacket
- Bottled water
- Gratuities for guides
- Waterproof bags for cameras and other equipment
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For Assistance arraning full tours including lodging and transportation book through one of the participating tour operators.