The Dungago Trail tour offers visitors the opportunity to immerse themselves in the natural environment and interact with the local community. Passing through the protected forest and a number of small villages, visitors can experience this tour on foot or horseback. Surrounded by the beautiful scenery of the cultivated eucalyptus forest and the majestic trees of the natural forest, visitors can see endemic bird species and native wildlife, such as turacos, flycatchers, woodpeckers, nyalas, warthogs, and colobus monkeys.
The local guide will lead visitors past a hyena den, streams, and caves while explaining the habits of native wildlife and the history of the area. Along the way, visitors will enjoy spectacular views of the stunning forest.
The Dungago Trail is tailored to visitors’ preferences. To make sure each guest makes the most of their time in the beautiful Lephis Forest, the pace and time of departure will depend on interests such as birding or wildlife viewing.
- Exploring the Lephis Forest.
- Visiting a hyena’s den.
- Discovering the beautiful area's colorful native birds.
Sample Itinerary - 4-6 Hours
- 10:00 am: Meet your guide at the Welcome Tukul
- 10:30 am: Options for hiking or horseback riding on Dungago Trail
- 12:30 pm: Lunch break and continue the hike
- 3:30 pm: Return to the Welcome Tukul, enjoy a snack and drink
- 4:00 pm: Depart
Note: The tour will take 4-6 hours, depending on visitors’ preference. Advance booking by 2-3 hours is recommended for horses.
What to Bring
- Packed lunch
- Hiking shoes or boots
- Sun screen, hat, and sunglasses
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof jacket
- Bottled water and snacks
- Camera (in a waterproof bag)
- Gratuities for guides and extra cash for refreshments
To Book Directly
Manager: Tujar Geda
Call: +251 9288 285 30
For English, Amharic, and Afaan Oromo
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For English and Amharic
For assistance arranging a full tour including lodging and transportation contact one of the participating tour operators.