After meeting a local community guide and horse handler at the Lephis Welcome Tukul, visitors will journey by horseback alongside the foothills of the beautiful Arsi Mountain range. The Kibba Horse Trail offers guests the opportunity to travel through thick juniper forests and potentially see desirable bird species and native wildlife, such as the Abyssinian lovebird, African pygmy kingfisher, Banded barbet, warthogs, and colobus monkeys. The local guide and trained horse handlers will carefully lead visitors through the picturesque Lephis forest, while explaining the local and natural history of this hidden gem of Ethiopia. Once out of the forest, visitors have an opportunity to feel the power of the Abyssinian horses by bringing them to a canter or gallop in a large open plain. This trip is tailored to visitors' preferences, and the pace and time of departure will depend on interests such as birding or wildlife viewing to make sure each guest makes the most of their time in the beautiful Lephis Forest. Note that the Kibba Horse Trail can accommodate all levels of riders.
- Discivering the beautiful natural forest and its colorful native birds.
- Exploring the Lephis communities.
- Feeling the rush and excitement of bringing an Abyssinian Horse to canter.
Sample Itinerary - 2.5-3 Hours
- 9:00: Meet your guide and horse handler at the Welcome Tukul
- 9:30: Bring your horse to a canter in the beautiful Lephis Forest
- 10:00: Catch your breath under a 250 year old Podocarpus tree
- 10:15: Trot through the village to experience the sights and sounds of rural Ethiopia
- 11:00: Return to Welcome Tukul and enjoy a drink and snack.
Custom itineraries can be arranged for the morning or afternoon. The tour will take 2 - 2.5 hours and a reservations should be arranged at least 3 hours in advance so horses can be prepared.
What to Bring
- Walking boots or shoes
- Sun screen, sunglasses, and hat
- Insect repellent
- Light rain jacket
- Bottled water
- Gratuities for guides
To Book Directly
Manager: Tujar Geda
Call: +251 9288 285 30
For English, Amharic, and Afaan Oromo
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For Assistance arraning full tours including lodging and transportation book through one of the participating tour operators.