The day starts with bird watching near the shoreline marshes, followed by a cruise around the nesting grounds of Tulu Simbero which means Bird Island in the local Oromifa language. Look out for local fishermen at work on traditional reed boats!
Passengers then head to Debre Sina (Mount Sinai), where visitors take a short walk to the monastery to discover the island’s history and view ancient relics and parchments. After, guides take visitors to a cave system on the island that has served as a home to secret hermits, refugees, and the villagers’ valuables. Hiking through the island’s rare natural forest also offers excellent bird watching.
After disembarcking from Debre Sina, visitors will visit Wamecha, a community protected forest on the mainland. Visitors will take a short hike to the top of the mountain, which offers scenic views of the lake and surrounding areas. Villagers used to use this spot to call to the people inhabiting Gelila and Debre Sina Islands.
- Spot rare and endemic birds in the marshes and forests.
- Discover the Lake’s fascinating history with the people who know it best.
- Explore nature in on the shore and the water.
Sample Itinerary - 3-4 Hours
- 9:00am: Depart from Ziway town boat launch
- 10:00am: Cruise around Tulu Simbero to spot birds
- 10:30am: Hike around Debre Sina
- 11:00am: Hike to the top of Wamecha Mountain
- 11:30am: Return to Ziway town.
Custom itineraries can be arranged for the morning or afternoon.
What to Bring
- Walking boots or shoes
- Sun screen, sunglasses, and hat
- Insect repellent
- Light rain jacket
- Bottled water
- Gratuities for guides
- Waterproof bags for cameras and other equipment
To Book Directly
Manager: Firafes Nebi
Call +251 927 340 309
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For assistance arranging a full tour including lodging and transportation contact one of the participating tour operators.