Lephis Forest comes alive at dawn – what better way to catch sight of its impressive wildlife and bird species than to spend the night camping at the forest’s edge?
Arriving in the mid-afternoon, visitors can transport their belongings to the campsite before heading out for a short hike, led by a knowledgeable local guide. As dusk falls and the forest springs to life, there are increased chances of spotting bushbuck, colobus monkeys, nyala, and even a rare leopard!
Back at the campsite, visitors can use the kitchen to prepare their own food (with fresh ingredients purchased from the Welcome Tukul).
The following day, an early morning hike is the perfect way to view the forest’s native bird species, including endemics and near-endemics such as the white-cheeked turaco, yellow-fronted parrot, black-headed siskin, wattled ibis, and Abyssinian salty flycatcher. A picnic lunch can be had along the trail, before continuing on to the waterfall, where visitors will have the opportunity to refresh themselves in the mist, take photographs, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery.
- Experiencing the forest at dawn and catching a glimpse of the early birds!
- Listening to the exotic sounds of the forest at night.
- Cooling off in the refreshing spray of Lephis Waterfall, surrounded by pristine forest views.
- 3:00 pm: Arrive at the Welcome Tukul, buy cooking supplies if necessary, Porters transport overnight bags and supplies to campsite
- 3:30 pm: Guided afternoon wildlife or waterfall hike
- 5:30 pm: Proceed to the campsite for the night
- 6:00am or 8:00 am: Guided birding and wildlife hike
- 12:20 pm: Lunch break and continue hike to waterfall
- 3:30 pm: End hike at the Welcome Tukul for refreshments
Tour can be arranged with hiking on the first or second day of the camping adventure. All times and itineraries are flexible.
What to Bring
- Hiking shoes or boots
- Sun screen, hat, and sunglasses
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof jacket
- Bottled water and snacks
- Camera (in a waterproof bag)
- Gratuities for guides and extra cash for refreshments
To Book Directly
Manager: Tujar Geda
Call: +251 9288 285 30
For English, Amharic, and Afaan Oromo
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For English and Amharic
For assistance arranging a full tour including lodging and transportation contact one of the participating tour operators.