After meeting a local community guide at the Lephis Welcome Tukul, visitors set off along the Finchaa Trail on foot or horseback. The trail begins in the cultivated Forest Enterprise forest, giving visitors the chance to learn about the Forest Enterprise, sustainable forestry, and local conservation efforts.
The trail then winds its way into the natural forest where visitors will encounter enormous, majestic trees that have now become a rarity in Ethiopia, as well as an impressive array of animal life including a number of endemic and near-endemic bird species, baboons, and monkeys. Along the trail, the local guide explains the natural surroundings as well as the history and culture of the area.
Emerging from beneath the dense forest canopy, visitors will be faced with the highlight of the tour: the beautiful Lephis Waterfall. A break at this magical spot offers visitors the opportunity to cool off in the refreshing mist of the cascade, take pictures, watch for nesting birds, and enjoy the area’s scenic beauty.
- Learning about the forest, its uses, and conservation.
- Spotting black and white colobus monkeys leaping around the forest canopy.
- Relaxing by the beautiful Lephis Waterfall.
Sample Itinerary - 2-3 Hours
- 1:00pm Meet your guide at the Welcome Tukul
- 1:30pm Begin hike or ride through the forest along the Finchaa Trail
- 2:30pm Arrive at Lephis Waterfall, enjoy views and climbing along the rocks to the waterfall’s base
- 3:00pm Return to the Welcome Tukul for snacks and a drink
- 3:30pm Depart
Morning and custom tours are also available. Advance booking by 2-3 hours is recommended for horses.
What to Bring
- Hiking shoes or boots
- Sun screen, hat, and sunglasses
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof jacket
- Bottled water and snacks
- Camera (in a waterproof bag)
- Gratuities for guides and extra cash for refreshments
To Book Directly
Manager: Tujar Geda
Call: +251 9288 285 30
For English, Amharic, and Afaan Oromo
To Book through a Reservation Agent
Call: +251 550 8870 or +251 551 0168
For English and Amharic
For assistance arranging a full tour including lodging and transportation contact one of the participating tour operators.